Friday, June 8, 2012

I majored in Kriemelman


Sheila Kriemelman was my professor for my last art class of Iona college, Watercolor. Not only has she been a professor, but a great mentor and friend. I got the opportunity to take a one week intensive class with her where I learned so much about art history, about art, about her, even about myself. This past week has made me realize how passionate I am about the arts and I have her to thank for that.



Honolulu born, SoHo artist, Sheila Kriemelman is an artist and art professor. Kriemelman teaches drawing, painting and art history at Iona College and Mercy College. Her paintings are in prestigious private, corporate and public collections in the United States, London, and Australia. She is listed in Who's Who in American Art and Outstanding People of the 20th Century in honor of her outstanding contribution to human rights through art and education. (Taken from her artist's Bio)

Her main statement is, "My work has always been an expression of my core self." I admire her for this, especially because I was honored to get to know her on a personal level. She truly inspires me as she came to New York following her dream. Her path was not easy at all in many senses, but if it weren't for her hardships, her work wouldn't have as much meaning.



Having her as a guide for the past three days has been truly a blessing. It it her passion and in depth knowledge that really opened my eyes to world of the arts. The two go hand in hand; if you are truly passionate about something, you're knowledge is eventually acquired. I say this because art history and everything we've been learning is everything I've been talking about to my friends for the past three days!


Above is a picture of her studio, her happy place, her getaway. It's filled with everything that brings her the feeling of happiness ranging from pictures, letters, cards, works, etc. It truly moved me to be able to witness this space, along with the works that have been created here.

I'm grateful for the opportunity to be welcomed into her home and into her life. Words can't express how inspirational she is and the amazing person I've come to know. This particular post is dedicated to her, to express how thankful I am for this opportunity. I can now say that I've "majored in Kriemelman."

3 comments:

  1. Sheila is a wonderful artist and incredibly gifted and inspiring teacher. I am also happy to call her a dear friend after taking a class from her over 10 years ago in Maui. Thanks for sharing your workshop on your blog, looks like it was fantastic and fun! Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see recognition of the artist and art prof. Well deserved.

    Husband of Prof K

    ReplyDelete
  3. She was my instructor as well. Left a huge and lasting impact on my life.

    ReplyDelete