Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Artist's Statement


Biography

Born in the small town of Washingtonville, NY, Larissa Laba is an alumnus of Iona College. She has spent the last four years creating a life for herself. After maintaining a job and completing four years of school, she will be receiving her BA in Mass Communication with a concentration in Public Relations. It was not until her last two semesters that she was able to enroll in FPA courses; Drawing and Painting 1 and Watercolor. After fulfilling those two courses, she has earned the title of an artist.

Statement

My definition of the word artist is someone who can successfully express him or herself through any medium. Through the two FPA courses, I have established myself as exactly that. To me, art is an outlet in which I can easily express myself. I now define talent as satisfaction. I believe talent is the ability to be very good at something, but also something that satisfies oneself.

My passion for art began at the age of 10, when I began drawing Pokemon cards on a large scale on computer paper. I have taken art classes from first grade throughout my senior year of high school. I learned basic techniques regarding pencil, charcoal, pastel, acrylic paint and sculpture. My talents were suppressed when I came to college, but they were rejuvenated after completing my senior year.

The techniques I have acquired brought me to where I am today. I have looked back and am now aware of the progress I have made. I’ve learned to let my fear of a blank piece of paper go and in turn produce something I am proud of. For me, art has become a getaway, one that I will always run to.

No comments:

Post a Comment